Most people have older adults in their life that they love and care about. But what happens when you have concerns about your elderly loved one? Concerns like:
- Dad called to tell me that Mom fell, but she is “okay.” Should I be worried?
- My spouse seems to have lost some weight, and they weren’t trying to. Is this a problem?
- I went to my brother’s house and noticed his pillbox was still full from last week. Why isn’t he taking his medications?
- My aunt was surprised to hear about my birthday party, even though we talked about it last week. Is this normal?
- Dad’s holding onto the walls and furniture when he walks around the house. Why is his balance off?
Even if you don’t have concerns now, you might be wondering what to do if your Senior had an exacerbation of their chronic health condition. How do you manage things like:
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
And what if life circumstances may limit your ability to be involved with your Senior if needed? What if:
- You live far away from your Senior
- Your Senior doesn’t have family or friends who could help out in an emergency
- You have a busy career
- You have personal obligations, such as raising children
- You have health conditions that would limit your ability to help your Senior
If any of this sounds familiar to you, it’s time to consider geriatric care management.
Why Our Clients Call Us
Most of our clients aren’t doctors, nurses, or physical or occupational therapists. They haven’t dealt with hospitals too often, and aren’t familiar with home health care, senior living communities, or the myriad of other services and professionals for seniors. They aren’t trained to see the changes their Senior is experiencing and figure out what those changes mean.
Most of our clients have jobs, families, and responsibilities. They all try their best to care for their Senior despite everything else going on.
What is Geriatric Care Management?
Geriatric care management provides support for the day to day needs of your elderly loved one, whether you live nearby in the Chicago area or out of town. Sometimes known as elderly care management, geriatric care management services start with an assessment to learn more about your Senior’s situation and your family’s goals. From there, we plan what our work together will look like. This can be frequent boots-on-the-ground work in your Senior’s home, intermittent phone check-ins, and everything in between. We also help you figure out the best way to include your Senior in their care.
Elderly care management services include but are not limited to:
- Assessment of a Senior’s daily routine
- Home safety assessment and falls prevention measures
- Coordination of ongoing medical services
- Management of support services such as in-home caregiving and home health services
- Transportation to/from medical appointments, with in-appointment assistance as needed
- Referrals to other providers as appropriate
- Family support and coaching
All clients work directly with Amy Cohen, OTR/L, CDP, CMC, owner and operator of ACE Senior Care Navigators and Aging Life Care Professional®. Amy takes a strengths-based approach when working with Seniors and their families to ensure that care management fosters a sense of empowerment and success with the aging process.
Benefits of Working With A Geriatric Care Manager
Our clients call us because they reach a point that they know their Senior needs more than what they can provide – more time, more clinical expertise, more knowledge of how the healthcare system works for Seniors. With ACE Senior Care Navigators, our clients feel:
- Happiness that their Senior’s daily care is being managed well.
- Relief that they won’t get any more surprise phone calls about a sudden problem they now have to drop everything else to handle.
- Comfort that their Senior’s medications are being managed, doctors’ orders are understood and followed, and follow-up appointments get made.
- Calm that they can go back to being the adult child and, as one client put it, “not my Mom’s daily business manager anymore.”
We are here to help.
Do you have other questions about geriatric care management and what would work best for you and your loved one? Reach out to ACE Care Navigators and we’ll help you find the answers. We’re based on the North Shore of Chicago and are available for virtual consultations anywhere.
Schedule your free geriatric care management consultation
Contact us to set up a phone or Zoom call, and get the support you need in what comes next for your Senior.